Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday, February 25, 2013; Polar Plunge weekend is over!

No I didn't jump in Creve Coeur Lake on Saturday. My youngest brother did in my honor for the Special Olympics. His whole team dressed up in footed pajamas and he was one of the two sock monkeys. The big snowstorm had come through the area at the end of the week, but the sun was out so that helped. Plus there were fire pits placed around the park.

Some of the sponsors were Hazelwood Police Department, Maryland Heights Police Department, and the Pattonville Fire Department. It wasn't hard for me to get around in my wheelchair until it came for my brother and his team to jump in. So my brother tilted my chair back and took me toward the area he was to line up, then someone said they thought I was supposed to be on the other side of the plastic  fencing, and then someone else said no bring her closer to the water. Lol, my poor brother I'm sure was getting frustrated, but he made sure I was in a good spot.

The good spot? Up by the judges on the edge of the pavilion. There were some cadets by the water as we tried to figure how to get me up the hill to my spot so I asked them if they wanted to earn extra credit. Three or four of them helped my brother lift me up and carry me and my chair up the hill to my spot next to my brothers chief.

It was the perfect spot to watch the craziness! Then I figured out if I would have just gone straight to the pavilion and worked my way through I could have made it to the same spot. lol Oh well live and learn.

I definately will go again next year. What is one thing that you think may be difficult for you to do on your own? Could you achieve it with a lift or a helping hand from others? It doesn't have to involve snow and cold weather. It could be as simple as going to the library and the book you want is on a shelf too high for you to reach on your own. Ask someone to get it down for you. Doesn't have to be the librarian it can be a stranger looking for their own book.

So go forward and conquer your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment