Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hello everyone! This is my first blog so please hang in there with visual changes I may make to it.

First the reason for my blog is that February 3rd was the 30th Anniversary of my leg amputation at Shriners Hospital in St. Louis. It was done the day after my 16th Birthday so for you all keeping check that makes me 46.

My entire life I tried to do what I thought I was suppose to do to be 'normal'. Graduated high school on time by going to summer school, went to college to get a degree, found a job after graduation, then found a better job, obtained my MBA and then it all went to Hell in a handbasket.

Let me back up a little. I was born with Spina Bifida, surgery at about 8 months to remove a tumor, numerous hospital visits that resulted in 3 volumes of medical records, and then infections that resulted in a below the knee amputation below my left knee. I had already dealt with partial paralysis below the knee of my right leg.

Except for one revision of my amputation there were no major medical problems from the time I was 16 until 39. My urologist said my bladder had shrunk to the size of an acorn. At the time I didn't realize he was telling me I was going to die. Fortunately for me there was an option besides dialysis.

A bladder augmentation saved my life, but ended my working. Since then I have worked on my writing and spent time with my family and friends.

I want more out of my life though. My trips to Washington DC and Orlando for writing conferences fired up my travel desire. To show that people in wheelchairs can explore and see everything that able body do.

So my plan is to first explore St. Louis and give tips on how I made it work. If there are anyplaces that you would like me to check out for you and see if they are accessible please let me know. I can walk short distances; however, even with that ability restaurants and attractions can make it difficult.

It is up to us to show them the way. Please join me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment