Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cardinals opening day April 8, 2013

Wow, what a day! This was on my Mom's bucket list and her friend Suzanne went with us. We started the day early and arrived at about 9:30 am. The plan was to go to J. Bucks where Channel 5 was going to be for autographs and hand out Stan Musial harmonica's. Well first we heading in totally the wrong direction and went totally out of the way. Finally we made it to J Bucks and saw a huge line that blocked part of the side walk. We decided to head for someplace else and on the way there we sat down to rest and check my smart phone for a map.

Our second choice was too far, but Talia Kaplan and Stephen Patterson from KSDK Channel 5 walked by and my mom said hi. Talia and Stephen stopped and chatted and invited us down to J Bucks, which is when we told them I couldn't get through. Talia was so nice! She said they'd get us in, which she did. The band was great and so was the crowd. We didn't get the harmonica, but it was a great time anyway.

We left there and decided to go onto the other side of the stadium to another opening day bash, which turned out to be KMOV Channel 4 and KMOX radio. There I met Kent Ehrhardt, Virginia Kerr, and Matt Chambers from Great Day St. Louis and they were so nice. Shared with Kent my idea of a challenge for his Can Kent series of him doing an obstacle course like scavenger hunt at the mall. He asked that I e-mail him about that and the fact I'm a member of the local romance writers chapter.

Haven't sent the e-mail yet because I want to make it perfect. This maybe my only chance to have an impact for the disabled community. Well I'll let you all know how it goes.

Then onto the game. The stadium was very accessible and the section the three of us were in was a special section for wheelchairs and the disabled. Folding chairs were available for my mom and her friend, there were cup holders attached to the wrought iron railing in front of us. Plus it was under the cover of the section above us so no hot sun! The only negative was the standing room only crowd encroaching on our space. You know how it is people don't really "notice" wheelchairs so they have a tendency to get to close.

The bathroom stall had enough room for my wheelchair to turn around in and enough room once I was out to get to a sink and the paper towels. Our seats were on the third level and I explored that area and then went down to the main level using the regular elevator and explored to my hearts content. Didn't have any problem, well except when women stopped in the middle of the huge hallway and it took me about 30 seconds to realize it was just the bathroom line. lol Then went back up using the freight elevator, which was also used by pregnant women and people who had problems with the stairs.

The game was great until the ninth inning and I could see everything from my wheelchair and I would love to go again sometime. Will be requesting the same seats. Until next time keep rolling with your head held high.

No comments:

Post a Comment